The QuickBooks Online integration will allow you to connect your Chargify account directly to your QuickBooks Online account to automatically sync your customers and the transactional data associated with them.
At the time this integration only works with the US, Canadian, and Australian versions of QuickBooks Online.
How It Works
Our QuickBooks integration currently supports both cash based and accrual based accounting. Transactions from Chargify are matched to QuickBooks Online by verifying customer based on:
- Email address
- Display name
- First name and Last name
- Chargify ID
The following fields from the Chargify customer record will sync to the QuickBooks Online customer record if they are populated:
- First and last name (these become the display name inside QuickBooks Online)
- Email address
- Chargify customer ID, which is assigned by Chargify
- Shipping address
- Billing address
- Phone number
Cash Based Integration
In our cash based accounting integration with QuickBooks Online all paid sales are synced from Chargify to QuickBooks Online as Sales Receipts. A paid sale is anything that your customer has paid for and is recorded when it is deemed paid.
Paid sales include:
- A normal, periodic billing that is paid immediately
- A mid-period prorated allocation change for which payment is captured
- A normal, periodic billing that is finally paid after dunning
- Charges that are covered by an existing balance credit (i.e. a negative balance), recorded when they happen
- One-time charges that are captured immediately
- External payments that pay an outstanding balance
- Payments made against an invoice
Paid sales do not include:
- Charges before they have been paid (i.e. periodic billing where the credit card is declined)
- Prorated downgrades that give money back
- One-time charges that are deferred until normal periodic billing
- Invoices that have been generated but not paid
Accrual Based Integration
In our accrual based integration with QuickBooks Online, Chargify syncs not only payments, but also the original charges as invoices. The main benefit of using this form of the integration is that you are able to view unpaid invoices in QuickBooks Online.
If a payment is synced to QuickBooks Online, but the invoice related to this payment does not yet exist in QuickBooks Online, that invoice will be created retroactively and will be simultaneously paid.
Additionally, refunds are synced from Chargify to QuickBooks Online. This includes both external refunds and refunds for funds collected in Chargify. These show up as ‘Refund Receipt’ in your QuickBooks Online account.
The following is how the line items look in Chargify as compared to when it is synced to QuickBooks Online:
If you collect taxes in Chargify, and want that information synced to QuickBooks Online, you will need to ensure you have taxes turned on in your QuickBooks Online account:
These taxes will be passed into QuickBooks Online as either sales tax, GST, or VAT depending on the version of QuickBooks Online you are using. Once enabled, whenever a taxable paid sale is synced, the taxes will be included on the Sales Receipt:
Both custom taxes and Avalara taxes will sync to QuickBooks Online.
Syncing multiple currencies
If you have multiple Chargify sites with different currencies and want them all to sync into the same QuickBooks Online account, this is possible by enabling the Multicurrency option in QuickBooks Online.
- Click the cogwheel in the upper right hand corner of your QuickBooks Online account and select Account and Settings
- On the left navigation bar click the Advanced tab
- Click the Currency section and enable Multicurrency
- Review the in-app information as this permanent, then save if you want to proceed
- Once saved click Manage Currencies and ensure every currency you want to sync is added
Moving forward all customers and sales receipts synced will have the same currency as the Chargify site they were synced from.
When is data synced?
- Data is usually synced within 1 hour of the payment being received by Chargify.
- For your initial sync, if moving over all data, it can take a bit longer.
- If you don’t see anything after a few hours please let us know.
How to enable the integration
Navigate to the Config -> Integrations tab in your Chargify account and click the QuickBooks tab in the lower left-hand corner.
Depending on your plan you might be able to enable the integration for free. If you do not see QuickBooks under the integrations page please contact us at Support@chargify.com
Click the Enable QuickBooks Online Integration button to continue. Once QuickBooks Online is enabled on the site, the subdomain may no longer be changed. If you need to change the subdomain on the site, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the Begin your Automation button to advance.
Click the Connect QuickBooks and continue to step 3 button. If you are already logged into QuickBooks Online you will be prompted with a screen to allow Chargify to sync to your account. To proceed, click the Authorize button in the lower right hand corner.
If you are not logged into your QuickBooks Online account, it will prompt you to login and then you can follow the same process as above. After clicking Authorize you will be redirected to step 3.
On this step you will be able to choose sync settings specific to your integration.
Configure sync settings.
Import Starting Point
For this setting, you can determine what historical data (if any) you want to sync over. You can choose:
- Sync all data
- Sync from a specific start date
- Start fresh and not import historical data
You will also need to determine which income account the integration will utilize. This account will represent which account in your QuickBooks Online Chart of Accounts will be used. In the dropdown you can choose from various options. If you choose 'Create default account', a new account will be created in QuickBooks Online.
The accounting mode allows you to choose Cash or Accrual based accounting. As explained in further detail above, choosing Cash will sync over sales receipts once paid whereas Accrual will sync based on the invoice creation regardless of paid status.
On this page you will also be given the option to choose what class name is used. Further information on classes and their setup can be found here
- No Class Name - will not populate a class
- Site name as Class Name - will use your subdomain name as the class
- QBO class name as Class Name - This option will allow you to select from existing class names in QuickBooks Online
- Custom Class Name - Allows for a custom class to be created
To finish the sync click the Send options and continue to last step button.
If successful, you should see a success message and you are all set. You can navigate out of the integrations tab and you should see the data show up in QuickBooks Online shortly.
Linking products and components to income accounts
Once you have the sync enabled and sales receipts created in your QuickBooks Online account, you will be able to set the products and components associated with the receipts to be in a specific income account. You can do so retroactively and once set all future syncs will get moved into the correct income account.
The first step would be to setup the income accounts you want to set for the products and components, if they aren’t already created.
- Navigate to the Accounting tab on the left side of the screen in your QuickBooks Online account
- Click the New button and fill out the appropriate information
- Repeat step 2 as many times as needed to setup all the income accounts
Next is to set the products and components to map to these income accounts.
- Navigate to the Sales tab on the left side and then click the Products and Services at the top of the screen
- Click the Edit link on the right side for the component or product you want to map
- Change the field labeled Income Account to be set to the income account you created previously
- Check the box labeled Also update this account in historical transactions to update existing sales receipts
- Click Save and Close at the bottom of the screen.
Repeat the above process for each product and component. Once this is completed it will continue to map with all future syncs!
Utilizing class to track multiple sites
If you have more than one site syncing into QuickBooks Online you will likely want to track which sales receipt is associated with which site. To do this you can turn on classes in your QuickBooks Online account and Chargify will automatically sync the chosen class into this column.
- Click the cogwheel in the upper right hand corner of your QBO account and select Account and Settings
- On the left navigation bar click the Advanced tab
- In the Categories section check the box to track classes
- Choose to track the entire transaction or one to each row in transaction, see image below how each of these shows
- Save the Categories section
Once the above steps are taken you will see the subdomain synced to the class for each sales receipt:
Re-authorizing QuickBooks Online account
Once you have the integration enabled and you view the QuickBooks Online tab you will see some new options. The first button will be labeled Reconnect my QuickBooks Online account and is used to re-authorize your QuickBooks Online account or switch which QuickBooks Online account you are connecting to.
Once clicked you will follow the same steps you did at setup to authorize your QuickBooks Online account and select which imports steps you want to take. Please note that if you wish to sync all historic data again you will need to use the ‘Disable the current automation’ outlined below.
One use of the Reconnect my QuickBooks Online account button would be to switch which income account synced transactions utilize by default.
Disabling the integration
If you wish to disconnect the current QuickBooks Online account you are syncing to so you can connect to a new one, disabling isn’t necessary. Instead, click the Reconnect my QuickBooks Online account button. This will return you to step 1 of the authorization flow in order to pick a new account.
If you wish you to disable the integration entirely, click the No longer using this integration? Disable QuickBooks Online link at the bottom of the page when in the QuickBooks Online integration section.
What happens when a QuickBooks Online customer has more than one email?
In this question, we address the situation where a QuickBooks Online customer has more than one email in the email field, such as email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since Chargify only allows a customer to have a single email address a new contact would be created using the email in Chargify. If you want to ensure Chargify syncs to existing customers it would be best to move the non-Chargify email in QuickBooks Online to another field to ensure the email addresses between Chargify and QuickBooks Online match.
What happens when you have more than one customer in QuickBooks Online with the same email?
We will sync to the oldest (first) created QuickBooks Online contact.
Can you edit the name of the product that is synced over from Chargify?
Doing so will cause Chargify to no longer associate that product with any sales receipts. Instead it will create a new product with the same name as the Chargify product. With this in mind, if you need to make changes, ensure you change it in both QuickBooks Online and Chargify and that they match.
What happens if I have an existing product with the same name as my Chargify product before I sync?
When Chargify syncs it will continue to utilize the existing product. The names need to match exactly, but it will pick up using the existing product.
What happens if I have two different Chargify customers with the same name?
As long as they have separate email addresses, they will sync to two separate customer records in QuickBooks Online. That said, because QuickBooks Online requires that display names be unique, if a duplicate customer name exists, we append the Chargify customer ID onto the end of the display name.
What happens when I void an invoice in Chargify?
Voided invoices do not get synced to QuickBooks Online. These would have to be managed manually in QuickBooks Online.
How are consolidated invoices handled in QuickBooks Online?
Each segment issued under the consolidated invoice will create an invoice in QuickBooks Online and payments will be distributed respectively.
Does Chargify multi-currency work with our QuickBooks Online integration?
Yes, but with limitations. QuickBooks Online currently only supports multi-currency on the customer level, meaning if a customer in Chargify has multiple subscriptions on different currencies the first synced invoice currency will be used and invoices on different currency will not be synced.