The following section deals with processing refunds on an existing subscriptions. Chargify has dedicated another entire section that deals with inspecting the refunds, from a purely transaction standpoint.
For more information on viewing the guts of a refund-based transaction, please view our transaction documentation.
Payment Gateways Supporting Refunds
Refunds are supported for the following gateways:
- Braintree Blue
- Chase Orbital
- Digital River (only full refunds)
- eWay Rapid
- Litle (Vantiv)
- Payeezy (First Data)
- Windcave (formerly Payment Express)
- Pin Payments
Credit vs. Refund
With Chargify you have the ability to apply a refund to payments that have been processed at the gateway. It is important to note the distinction between a credit and a refund.
A refund will return an amount, up to the full amount of the original payment, back to the customer’s credit card. A refund does not affect the customer’s account balance, but will change the total revenue collected for the subscription.
A credit, will simply update the customer’s Chargify balance without actually returning the funds. A credit will appear as a negative balance.
Issuing a refund for Invoices
- Refunds in Invoice Architecture can be done by navigating to the invoice that needs to be refunded.
- Once in the desired invoice select "More Options" and click on "Refund Invoice..."
- Pop-up prompts will help walk you through the rest of the refund process.
- Options to choose if the refund is applied back to the payment profile via a gateway or externally via cash or check will be given.
- Additionally, you will be able to choose if the invoice balance is forgiven or still expecting payment.
Click the Invoice option to locate the invoice to be refunded.
Open the desired invoice.
Select Refund Invoice.
Select the payment to refund.
Select if the refund will go back to the payment profile or will be made externally.
Select if the invoice balance will be forgiven (Refund and credit the invoice) or owed (Refund but do not credit the invoice).
Issuing a refund for statements
Select Process Refund to begin the process.
- To issue a refund, simply navigate to the subscription detail page by clicking on the Start Date or on the “View” link in the subscriptions listing.
- There, you will see a link to Process Refund.
- From there you will see a list of payments that are eligible for a refund.
- Select the payment you’d like to add a refund to by clicking the Select link next to it.
Select the payment to refund.
Enter the full or partial refund amount and a memo.
Chargify will communicate with your payment gateway and, depending on the state of the transaction and the amount of the refund, either void the original transaction or apply a credit to the credit card. A partial refund can only be applied to a payment once it has been settled at the gateway. Transactions generally settle within 24 hours.
Refunds typically take several business days to appear on your subscriber’s card. For the most part refunds appear within 2-12 business days. Please consult your gateway for expectations on refunds and established timelines.
Refund to Original Credit Card
When you refund a credit card in Chargify, for a previous transaction, the refund is placed on the original card used to complete the transaction.
The following list of bullet points will illustrate the flow of refunds through Chargify, in the event a subscription has had more than one card on file.
- The refund transaction is tied to the original transaction ID in your gateway that was generated when the original charge was placed.
- When the refund is initiated from Chargify, the gateway looks up the original transaction, via ID, and issues the refund to the original card.
- In the Chargify application, when you view the refund transaction, you will only see the current credit card information displayed on screen.
- The refund in all cases will be refunded to the original card.
If you have further concerns about which card was refunded, we encourage you to check the refund transaction in your gateway to visually verify that the refund has been initiated back to the correct card.
If you find that Chargify does not support refunds via your gateway directly, we have a solution. You can issue an external refund in Chargify.
First, you’ll need to refund your customer in your gateway’s portal. Then return to Chargify and select “Record External Payment” for your subscriber. When you issue an external refund, no communication is made to the gateway via Chargify. This is simply a way to record evidence of the transaction in the gateway.